VERSE OF THE DAY

Friday, November 20, 2009

I'm just The "Lone Ranger"!


. . .that's what my mother would always exclaim. And I would be obliged to contemplate what she meant for a few brief moments. You know, obviously, she's "alone"--Dad is already gone, she's living in a "mother-in-law's suite in her son's house--not really alone but yet "alone" on her side of the house, yada, yada. And that was about the extent that the analysis went. Mother had a way of using "double entendres" and along with them, many or most times they always were a bit "funny" or "tongue in cheek". But, today as I pondered her four infamous words, a new understanding clearly unmasked itself to me (well...at least to me anyways...). The "mask" that my mother wore of the Lone Ranger--(like most people do in some form or another) was the way to hide the pain of that "aloneness", yet verbalize it too. She joked about it--the outward expression was heard. Even though there was no advertly open confession of pain; however, this experience belonged to her and this was the manner in which she was able to cope with the heartache. My mother was a gentle woman and the way in which she comported herself and "dealt" with issues in her life---well--who couldn't be proud of this "lady". What a truly wonderful example she was. I miss her dearly. SO, this Thanksgiving I shall intentionally point my thoughts to remembering her positive eccentricities and all her delightful little quirks --and I will cry --and I will laugh. Most of all I will long for the moment when I can be with her again! I don't think she will greet me saying "I'm just the Lone Ranger"-- for I think that where she is-- she is NOT ALONE and for now--that is sufficient enough to make my heart sing!

1 comment: